Museum Care and Maintenance Cleaning Protocol
To ensure the safety of all visitors, staff and animals, the Museum of Discovery and Science (MODS) follows strict cleaning protocols on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. As an accredited institution by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), MODS follows industry-wide best practices for cleaning our facility, exhibits and animal habitats. These practices and protocols include:
- The Museum’s Building Services Department cleans all floors, bathrooms, handrails and surfaces throughout the property including outdoor spaces on a daily basis.
- Our outdoor spaces are pressure washed on a weekly basis.
- All open pools of water are routinely treated with bleach or possess a filtration system to keep the water clean.
- Food services areas and tables are kept clean and wiped down with disinfectant after use.
- The Exhibits Department conducts deep cleans of exhibits on a regular maintenance schedule. The frequency has been increased to protect against Coronavirus.
- Early childhood toys, materials, cloth toys, and classroom spaces are cleaned on a daily basis with a disinfectant.
- Restrooms are available to clean and wash hands.
- IMAX 3D headsets and 7D Theater headsets are cleaned and sanitized in a machine-washing system.
- All staff are required to wash their hands multiple times per day and after using the restroom/animals.
- Strict cleaning and husbandry protocols are in place daily to ensure the animals who reside at MODS and their habitats meet the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)
The Museum of Discovery and Science is a safe place to visit, explore and enjoy. At MODS, the health and safety of our visitors, staff and animals is a top priority year-round. Thank you for your cooperation.