- The mission of the Museum of Discovery and Science (MODS) is to provide experiential pathways to lifelong learning in science for children and adults through exhibits, programs and films. MODS fulfills its mission by delivering creative content and programming through four major content pillars: Physical Sciences; Health; Environmental Science; and Early Childhood.
- The Museum of Discovery and Science is a private, non-profit museum governed by a Board of Trustees.
- More than 400,000 people visit the Museum annually and more than 10 million have experienced the Museum since opening in 1992.
- Located in the heart of downtown Fort Lauderdale’s Arts and Science District, MODS features 145,000 square feet of dynamic science exhibits, an outdoor science park, a live animal collection, a rotating schedule of science shows, learning labs, café, store and a grand atrium featuring our signature exhibit: the Great Gravity Clock. The Great Gravity Clock stands at 52 feet tall and is the biggest kinetic energy sculpture in Florida. The showpiece of the museum since 1993, this unique timepiece is one of only three in the world.
- The 300-seat AutoNation IMAX® 3D Theater features both 2D and 3D films and is the only Certified Giant Screen® in South Florida, with a powerful sound system, 4K Laser projection system for unparalleled clarity and brilliance, and a 60 ft. x 80 ft. giant screen for a truly immersive film experience.
- MODS has more than $8.5+ million annual operating budget and a $4.3+ million endowment.
- MODS is accredited by the American Association of Museums and the Association of Science-Technology Centers.
serving south florida
- MODS serves more than 90,000 students on school sponsored field trips annually including the urban, underserved population; low-literacy families; and at-risk youth through internship and mentoring programs and community outreach.
- MODS offers classes, camps, turtle walks, overnight camp-ins, outreach programs, science demos and labs, environmental education programs and lectures.
- The Museum is the official interpretive site of the South Florida Ecosystems Restoration Task Force, a consortium of federal, state and local government and tribal agencies dedicated to restoring Florida’s precious ecosystem.
- Parenting Magazine – Kids Crown Awards Judge’s Choice – Best Museum/Theater (Broward) • USA Today 10 BEST Museums in Fort Lauderdale – Best Museum
- 2012 South Florida Parenting Magazine – Best Indoor Activity in Broward County • TripAdvisor® -Certificate of Excellence
- 2013 Broward Family Life – Favorite Museum • South Florida Parenting Magazine – Kids Crown Award – Best Activities & Outings /Museums in Broward• SouthFlorida.com – Best Museum
- 2014 TripAdvisor® – Certificate of Excellence • Local 10 Top 10 – Best Museum 2nd Place • Kids Crown Award – Best Activities & Outings/Museums and Theaters • New Times – Best Museum
- 2015 Broward Family Life – Favorites: Museum/Camps/Place To Get Smart/Party Place • TripAdvisor® – Certificate of Excellence • Broward Palm Beach New Times Reader’s Choice – Best Museum • South Florida
- 2016 Broward Family Life – Favorite Museum • TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence (5th consecutive year) • Southflorida.com- Best Museum and Best Movie Theater
- 2017 Broward Family Life – Favorite Museum Gold Coast Magazine – Best Museum Permanent and NATIONAL traveling Exhibit
- 2018 TripExpert – Experts’ Choice Award. Fewer than 2% of attractions worldwide receive the award • South Florida Parenting readers voted the Kids Crown Awards categories for best birthday party spot and best family attraction
- 2019 Platinum Seal on GuideStar Nonprofit Profile • 4-star exceptional rating on Charity Navigator • TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence (8th consecutive year) • Broward’s Favorite Museum by the readers of Broward Family Life magazine.
AUTONATION IMAX® 3D THEATER
- The AutoNation IMAX® 3D Theater opened in November 1992 and converted to 3D in 1996.
- In September 2014, an IMAX Xenon Digital System was installed to complement the existing IMAX GT film projection system.
- In September 2016, an IMAX 4K Laser Digital Projection System was installed featuring state-of-the-art, cutting-edge laser projection technology.
- Three to four new documentary IMAX films open annually at the AutoNation IMAX Theater.
- The AutoNation IMAX Theater also opens an average of 20 Hollywood feature films annually.
Updated December 2017